Practising the pronunciation of REGULAR VERBS in the SIMPLE PAST is often underestimated due to the fact that everyone concentrates on learning the irregular verbs, deeming regular verbs to be easy. It is only when students read aloud in class that this necessity becomes apparent, often making my very long hair stand on end!
As a result many years ago I made up this Simple Past REGULAR VERBS Pronunciation Game which you can download below.
1. First of all I refresh the students' memory by dividing the blackboard into three and distinguishing between the three pronunciations as on the photocopy.
2. We practise all together as I write some examples of verbs in three columns on the board.
3. Depending on the level of the students, I then leave it on the board to consult or rub it off.
4. Now it's time to divide the class into two teams and distribute one set of verbs to one team and a different set of verbs to the other team. NO WRITING is allowed as this is an oral skill to be practised.
5. The first team starts by each reading just one verb in turn until someone makes a mistake.
6. Then the other team reads theirs, just one verb per person until someone makes a mistake.
7. Then the first team STARTS FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE LIST again, but this time with another person reading so as NOT to always have the same people reading the same identical verbs as before.
8. The game proceeds taking turns, ALWAYS STARTING FROM THE TOP OF THE LIST AGAIN, until one team manages to read their list completely with making a mistake!
9. All this repetition helps them to fix the pronunciation in their minds and be more aware of it.
10. If there is time at the end of the lesson we also read "The Story of Willy the Kid" taken from the age-old Streamline Departures, filling in the gaps and pronouncing the verbs correctly (see download). There is also a very nice audio* of it to listen to and we even act it out time-permitting.
* LISTEN TO AUDIO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxXou87go7Q
Hope you have fun with it!
5/9/2022 08:22:51 pm
Really informative article, I had the opportunity to learn a lot, thank you. https://freecodezilla.net/madara-wordpress-theme/
12/9/2022 12:52:36 am
Really informative article, I had the opportunity to learn a lot, thank you. https://kurma.website/
15/9/2022 03:29:24 am
Really informative article, I had the opportunity to learn a lot, thank you. https://bit.ly/site-kurma
30/9/2022 06:01:18 pm
It's great to have this type of content. Good luck with your spirit. Thank you. https://bit.ly/site-kurma
5/10/2022 09:46:01 am
I think this post is useful for people. It has been very useful for me. Looking forward to the next one, thank you. https://escortnova.com/escort-ilanlari/balikesir-escort/marmara-escort/
5/10/2022 02:41:34 pm
It was a post that I found very successful. Good luck to you. https://escortnova.com/escort-ilanlari/konya-escort/yunak-escort/
6/10/2022 02:30:45 am
I follow your posts closely. I can find it thanks to your reliable share. Thank you. https://escortnova.com/escort-ilanlari/van-escort/bahcesaray-escort/
6/10/2022 05:45:23 pm
I support your continuation of your posts. I will be happy as new posts come. Thank you. https://escortnova.com/escort-ilanlari/giresun-escort/piraziz-escort/
8/10/2022 09:36:46 am
Thank you for your sharing. I must say that I am successful in your content. https://escortnova.com/escort-ilanlari/tokat-escort/resadiye-escort/
12/11/2022 03:00:28 pm
Hemen Göz At: https://taksikenti.com/
22/11/2022 11:13:58 am
Sitemizi ziyaret et ve evden is imkanina bak: https://sites.google.com/view/evden-ek-is/
10/12/2022 10:15:22 am
Düşmeyen bot takipçi satın al: https://takipcialdim.com/
10/12/2022 12:48:31 pm
Tiktok takipçi satışı burada: https://takipcialdim.com/tiktok-takipci-satin-al/
10/12/2022 12:48:57 pm
İnstagram beğeni satışı yapan firmamıza göz atın: https://takipcialdim.com/instagram-begeni-satin-al/
28/12/2022 04:47:01 pm
online casino oyna: http://haikuboy.com
Leave a Reply.
Would you like regular English learning & teaching ideas? Subscribe to my blog so you don't miss a post!
My name is Susan Brodar, born in London into a multilingual family and brought up bilingual English / Italian.